Friday, March 2, 2012

Spring Training Tease, Wings win 6-0 over The Wild

   So with the winter semester in full effect, I pretty much failed at updating and posting. I totaled in zero ( 0 ) posts since I joined in November. With 17 credits, two jobs, two organizations, and swim, I haven't had much time to sit down and write something logical. Well... the first spring training game and the Wings game to tonight, so I feel this is a great time to actually get this started.


Spring training, you’re such a tease.
  It’s like, I know that game of baseball is being played by my Tigers but….. it’s not REAL baseball. However, I do like seeing the young guys get some practice in.
 
What did I care about? Price Fielder. Doubled in his first and only time up.
Yeah… I like that a lot.
You as many Cheetos as you want if you keep that up, boy.

Florida Southern 1 - Detroit Tigers 11, Final.


Other MLB related
   Despite how late it is, let’s not talk about Ryan Braun because there is nothing to talk about. Do not get me started.


And that Wings game… shutout against the Wild.
   When I left work at 3pm, I called everyone to see if they wanted to take advantage of the $20 upper bowl AND upper bowl tickets for the CCHA because it’s the first Friday night I had off in years and my favorite prospect was actually playing at the Joe (unlike on the 23rd of November). No one was able to go.

   But anywho, it was actually quite nostalgic to watch at home. I almost forgot it was a live game and I wasn't playing NHL 94 due to my crummy, pixelated feed.


This is an actual screen cap from my laptop for the Friday night game.

   So it's been really nice to finally see Val with-- what, 52 points (?) this season. It’s much later than I wanted, but it’s hard to be with the Wings at a young age, since there’s so much talent to begin with. I just hope it can continue because the Wings need something strong right behind the Datsyuk-Zetterberg generation.

   Moving on. Dear, Wild Announcers, it was actually, Brendan Smith who got the second goal—not Abdelkader. (that I was actually able to make that out). Nonetheless, I was pretty ecstatic. It's his first NHL goal. Now, Brendan Smith for the past few years has been the top prospect in my mind and hopefully just a regular favorite (you know, after the departure of most of my favorite players last season, a lot of guys can get promoted on my list). Saw the guy play with the Griffins a few years ago and I was quite impressed. He seems to be more than just a defenceman. Decent skater, can help with forecheck. He’s pretty physical too. Now, there is a problem with this. This could be another Meech/Quincy thing (...and yes, highly aware we got Quincy back), where they should have had more ice time to prosper but the Wings were just too stacked. We shall see how this pans out.

(Photo by Dave Reginek/NHLI via Getty Images)
An offensive scoring defenseman, attended Wisconsin-Madison, and is Canadian…?! Hey, Brendan Smith… call me ;-)
Here’s the goal, by the way.

   Now the game as a whole: A lot of people said, “Ahh, now those are the Wings I know and love.” Um, they really didn’t go anywhere. Two losses with an OT loss, isn’t really THAT bad. I know being a fan of Detroit, we accept a lot from them but it just annoys me because I’ve seen much worse. And I’ve seen much better.
Does no one remember when the wings had about 11 losses in February of ’08. And how did THAT season end? … And that game we played against Boston? So far, my favorite this season has been that game. THAT was a battle because both team were incredibly aggressive and weren’t slacking in energy. To me, that was much more impressive.

   And tonight, we didn’t get a single goal on the power-play. That’s not good-- at all. We had five chances (I think) and if we want to do well, we NEED to capitalize on that.
On the other hand, we didn’t have Lidstrom and Dats and Howard did play great for the shutout. Zetterberg is getting back it in again. I’ll give them that. I’ll take the two points.
Good game guys.

Minnesota Wild 0 - Detroit Red Wings 6, final.

... You know, life is really unfair to Minnesota. That’s a place that really actually loves hockey and they really deserve a good team. Nothing against the players, they have talent, it’s just not clicking. I still don’t understand why San Jose or Florida has a team. Those places don’t even get snow.

… side another side note. They radio just compared Jonathan Ericsson to Todd Jones. That’s an interesting debate. Maybe sometime soon later.
And some Cubs bashing too? Tisk, tisk.


Other NHL related
   Ron Wilson was let go. Like no one saw that one coming…


Soccaaaa
   Clint Dempsey got the single goal against Italy. Dempsey, one of my favorite American players (I think I like only three of them) also plays for Fulham. Yes, I am a Fulham fan. Yes, I don’t care what you say. There’s a 50/50 chance I will be going to the Olympics this year and I really hope that’s something I could catch. U.S. soccer has always been a “joke” in some ways (I’ll use that loosely). But it would be really nice to see something go with that team in London.


Italy 0 - U.S.A. 1, final.


Alright, I think that’s it. Until next time. Bis dann.

No comments:

Post a Comment