Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Retirements in MLB, Powerplay and the Wings

 *Note, internet is down so I just want to get this up for now. Will update, add pictures, write more later. ...LOL like people read this. I even haven't advertised this whatsoever nor do people care what I write.

Carlos Guillen Retires

Photo Credit: Detroit Free Press
"It's a tough decision for me, for my family, for everybody because I tried to come back..." - Carlos Guillen
... Now, if that doesn't break your heart, there's something wrong with you.

Kyle Terada/US Presswire
   After 14 major league seasons, in fielder Carlos Guillen, who signed back with Seattle in the 2012-12 off-season from the Tigers, has made it official that he is now retiring. Yes, he had a lot of injuries towards the end of his career, but despite all of that, he was a good player. When he was in the line-up, he was consistent. And that's what I really liked about him.

Accomplishments of Guillen's MLB career
1.) The walk off homerun in the '06 season.
2.) Three time All-Star player in 2004, 2007, and 2008.
3.) Played a big role for the 2006 season, when the Tigers won the American League Championship.
4.) He hit a cycle, the tenth Tiger to do so against the Tampa Bay Devil Ray in late 2006.

Other reasons I love Carlos Guillen:
1.) His batting average was over .400 against the Chicago White Sox... I don't like the White Sox. At all. What also was funny, he was a better at batting left, a concept that Ozzie Guillen never caught on to. He would always change his pitchers and Carlos would always would get the job done.
 More specifically, his bunt single clinched late in game 3 of the Mariners' 2000 division series against the White Sox.

2.) When he smiled, you know stuff was going down. You can't lie he looked B.A. when going up to the plate to bat.
Carlos and I back in '07
3.) He really picked up his game in 2006 when Placido Polanco was for that long stretch. 
4.) He wore a Ralph Lauren Team Sweden Polo.
5.) He hit a grand slam against the Yankees, which lead us a 4-8 win over New York. Yeah. He also had great numbers over the Yankees.
6.) The Jered Weaver incident.
7.) The walk-off homerun against the Yankees at 3:27am after a long rain delay.
8.) The time it was "Photo Day" at Comerica and I couldn't get a picture with Guillen. He walked past me and I was really bummed. But then he saw me wearing his shirt and looking all sad and pathetic and said "Sorry, I missed you." That made my day!

Carlos, you know the game quite well and I recall you saying you wanted to manage or coach. We wish you the best. Hopefully, we shall see you around!

< >
"... and here comes Carlos Guillen rounding second with his Mr. T starter kit." -Rod Allen

Man, all my favorite players have retired now. I'm so lost in the world now...

Tigers Spring Training 
   Tigers not doing too bad.

Seattle Mariners 1 - Detroit Tigers 3, final.


Other MLB
Jason Veritek retired? Ah, Jason Veritek retired. Didn't know that 'til now.


Wings Fall to Flyers
   As I have been saying for the last week now, WE NEED TO GET THAT POWERPLAY WORKING. I want to shake the entire team and make them realize they must capitalize on those situations.

   Niklas Kronwall hit on Jakub Voracek. Wow, Kronner didn't budge-- at all.
Now, I'm trying to be non-biased, but that hit looked legal to me. Voracek did look down the last second; but you can't blame Kronner for that. In fact, his whole posture wasn’t good. He was leaning over and not pay much attention to anything else. That's just being irresponsible as a player. You need to be looking up at all times. Hopefully this won't be a suspension... our D is dropping like flies.
   Although, I must say, where was the whistle?! They needed to stop play. That's something worth reviewing.



Update: No suspension, but Shanny is still reviewing it...? Okay...?


Detroit Wings 2 - Philadelphia Flyers 3, final.

No comments:

Post a Comment